Everyone Has a Story—Here’s Mine, Part 1

A common question I’m asked as an author is, “when did you start writing?” Every time I get to answer this question, I fall in love all over again…not that I ever really fell out of love. Some people might tell you that they loved books from the time they could read, that they were writing stories in crayon, that writing is what defines their entire life up until this point. Well, my story is a little different. It’s a unique one that usually sends spikes of energy through me and those I’m telling it to.

It didn’t necessarily start off that exciting, but how I became reunited with writing after being away from it for thirteen years, is my story alone to tell. So here goes.

My story starts off much like other authors. I did start writing when I was young, but it wasn’t with crayons. It was on a typewriter and then on a computer. I was a teenager at the time and in love with the dramatics involved with young romance. Maybe it was a reflection of all the tangled emotions that were whirling through my system? I’m not sure, but I found it so enjoyable. I wrote romance novellas that were full of heartache and suspense. I even have some of these kicking around on three inch floppies. (If you don’t know what these are, I’m feeling old right now…and I oblige, picture attached.)

Anyway, I’d insist everyone in my family read what wrote and if they refused? Well, no problem. I read it to them. You could say I was hard-headed, tenacious. But it was clear that I had a message I wanted to share. Primarily, I wanted to entertain. I also knew I wanted to write a full-length novel.

This love moved me to write into Harlequin for their submission guidelines as a teen. I still remember grabbing the envelope and hunkering down in the basement to read the contents. My parents never even knew I had written to them.

But it wasn’t my time yet. I don’t even remember exactly why I was deterred. Maybe it was because of the story length required. Maybe it was self-doubt or a realization of my limited life experience.

From there, I also remember writing poetry. For those of you who read it or write it, you know it’s an emotional journey. You really have to feel everything you put on the page. I used it as a means to purge my teenage upsets.

But then, I stopped writing. I don’t even remember exactly when or why it happened.

What I do know is, approximately thirteen years later, writing re-entered my life.

Please visit my blog next week to read more about my story.

Send to Kindle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Family Doesn't Support Your Writing

A Big Decision...

A Promotional Tool that Makes Sense