The Next Big Thing



As you can see my blog hasn’t received much ‘love’ lately, but that’s okay.  I’ve been writing and having a great time doing so! :D

But, thanks to Marianne Spitzer and Dixie Goode, I’m back to my blog for The Next Big Thing.  They tagged me to answer 10 questions about myself and pass the fun along to another 5 authors. 

Let’s get started shall we.

The Questions: 

1. What is the working title of your book?

Well, the book I would like to discuss today actually has a finalized title--Assassination of a Dignitary.  This will see release early 2013.

Here’s the working overview (subject to change):

Raymond Hunter's murderous past has returned and demands one final favor.  Now, eighteen years later, settled as an accountant and family man, he assumed life would be calm.  He thought wrong.  The Italian mafia wants him back.

The directions were simple:  Kill Governor Behler and be out for good.

An odd request since the mafia typically respects dignitaries, but in order to protect his family he has no choice but to accept the job.  He picks the date and location--Niagara Falls, New York--two hundred and forty miles away.  But when things go wrong, his family is kidnapped and he's given twenty-four hours to set things right if he ever wants to see them again.  With time running out, Raymond discovers the real reason for the hit, and with law enforcement closing in, he fears he may not be able to save them.

2.  Where did the idea come from for the book?

I wrote this book initially for NaNo in 2011.  The idea dates back before that, but had morphed over time to become what it is today.

I originally had the main character pegged as an innocent set amidst the backdrop of the Italian mafia.  As it turns out, Raymond Hunter has a murderous past one wouldn’t expect of a family man and accountant.

3. What genre does your book fall under?

This book is a thriller through and through.

4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

I typically prefer to avoid this question because I don’t like to set up a person in my readers' mind.  I want them to formulate who they believe the characters resemble.

5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Raymond Hunter must risk all and revisit his past as an Italian mafia hit man to save his family.

6.  If you plan to publish, will your book be self-published or published traditionally?

This book will be self-published.

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your MS?

This book turned out to be the longest I had written up until that time, coming in around 110k words.  The first draft took one and half months to write.

8.  What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

While I hope the book stands unique, my writing style has been compared to the likes of JD Robb, Sue Grafton, Mary Higgins Clark, Tami Hoag, Tess Gerritsen, and Amanda Kyle Williams to name a few.

9.  Who or what inspired you to write this book?

In this case, the character wanted his story told.  I can’t pinpoint exactly where the inspiration came from, but I wanted to contrast between a life with a semblance of innocence with a darker one.

10.  What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

The Italian mafia, a former hit-man turned family man, a high profile target, and law enforcement getting close--Assassination of a Dignitary is an adrenaline rush.

Now to tag the 5 other bloggers:




Comments

  1. Oh, nice Job on this, Carolyn. Thanks for playing along. I've read, Ties that Bind, and Justified, and Pearls of Deception and I really like your books a lot so it is interesting to see where your mind is taking us next.

    Dixie Goode

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dixie, for your nice comments and the nomination to take part in this. Thrilled you're looking for more. : )

      Delete
  2. Wonderful interview, Carolyn. I'm happy you were able to play along. Your new book sounds intriguing. I can't wait to read it. I've read Ties That Bind, Justified and Pearls of Deception also and Sacrifice is on my short list of "to be read." Keep writing, we're all waiting to read what's next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments and nomination, Marianne. Very happy that you can't wait to read Assassination of a Dignitary and plan on reading Sacrifice as well.

      Delete
  3. This book sounds so interesting! From the first time I saw the cover you had me. Can't wait to read it when it's released! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Katie. Hope you'll have time to take part and answer the questions for yourself. I look forward to what you'll have to say.

      Delete
  4. Carolyn develops outstanding characters and I look forward eagerly to reading this story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Wendy. You'll get a "front row ticket". :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to make a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

When Family Doesn't Support Your Writing

A Big Decision...

A Promotional Tool that Makes Sense