Monday, September 2, 2013

Smile Because You Can


Ever start out your day thinking this day is going to be the worst ever? What if it's Monday--we all dread Monday, don't we?  Nope, and it doesn't have to be that way.

I can say with honesty that I have experienced the power of positive thinking. In fact, most of us likely have at one point (or many more times, I hope) in our lives.

This one morning I woke up in a miserable mood.  (Hey, it happens to the best of us.) I had decided 'you know what? This is how I feel, I have a right to feel this way, I might as well embrace it.'

How do you think that day went for me?

That's right. It was one of the worst days ever!  Everything went wrong from the moment I got to work until the time I got home that night. Nothing, and I mean nothing, went smoothly.

Contrast that to a day I decided it was going to be a good day. I was going to take things as they came along. I was going to be patient and smile and not stress out about anything.

How do you think that day went?

You're correct! It was a good day.

I've even experienced the power of positive thinking within the same day. I got in to work and was in a grump. The odd (okay maybe a bit more) swear word mingled out with a deep exhale. The phone got hung up a little heavier on the cradle.  You get the picture.  I wasn't impressed by anything.

Then, like a light bulb went off (excuse the cliche), I realized I had the power to change my attitude. I stopped swearing, I started smiling, I breathed evenly and was patient with people. I took the time to talk with people.  Guess what? The day was flipped on its head--in a good way. It even improved the moods of those around me.

So my advice?  Just smile.  It can't hurt anything, but it sure as heck can help.