One Life-Changing Moment



There are moments in life I wonder if I will ever reach my dreams.  My goals are what many have called childish ambitions, driven by the heart of a young girl.  But I know I can have what I set out for--except for at times like this.

The knock came on the door when I was making dinner.  Randy loved roast beef and I was going to surprise him with a mid-week “Sunday” meal.  I wondered why he had knocked, and didn’t just let himself in. 

A smile graced my lips.  He was playing a game.  Maybe he had brought home roses for me.  It was our anniversary tomorrow.

I looked at the clock and realized time had slipped away.  He should have been home over an hour ago.    My heart beat fast as I reached the front door.  Shadows of two figures darkened the white curtains on the sidelights.

When I opened the door and saw the officers, my knees fell weak.

“Are you Mrs. Stanton?”

I nodded.

The older one made the introductions, and added, “May we come in?”

Time came to a stop when they told me about the accident. My heart tightened in my chest, and my lungs seized, making the next breath expectant and not taken for granted.  “Why?”

My single-worded question fell heavy in the otherwise silent house--a house, that had been a home. What would I do now?

“Is there anything we can do for you?  Call family members or anything else?” The officer’s eyes were misted.  Pain resided there, and I knew he didn’t just perform his job, he felt it.

I shook my head.  How would I go on?

After they pulled out of the driveway, I raised my eyes heavenward, fingers pressed to my lips as if I were able to ssh away my current nightmare.  In that moment, a sparrow flew from the blue sky, and landed on the railing of the front porch.  It told me--somehow---everything would be alright.  Randy believed in me, and I couldn’t let him down.  I would eventually obtain my dreams.

Tears fell, and I stood there until my legs crumbled beneath me.  My chest heaved with the pain in my heart.  

~~
What story does this picture inspire in you?

Comments

  1. This is like Flash Fiction: Give a writer a word or a picture and ask them to write a very short story about it. I enjoyed your take on this, Carolyn... Profoundly sad, but moving and with hope in a simple, yet surprising way at the end. :-)

    Good job!

    I see in this photo a young writer, imagining a future like the person on the stage. Her innocent, intelligent eyes are absorbing each nuance of the speakers' body language, while her nimble mind is learning from the most famous living author. Mary Beth (my chosen name for her)clings to each word, imagining herself in that woman's place. She's in the front row of the audience as J.K. Rowling speaks about her experiences before and after writing "Harry Potter."

    Off the top of my head... Don't LOL too loudly. :-)

    Wonderful blog, as always. You're the best!

    Hugs - Betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betty. You're piece is wonderful, as I would have expected : )

      I think I've been into the flash fiction lately because it lets me be creative and write even if I don't have a lot of time.

      Delete
  2. Unfortunately, this uncovers a true story for a dear friend, and the conversation I had with my husband after the funeral...what would I do...young children and myself to care for...his reply was the same. "Everything would be alright. I believe in you. You wouldn't let me down."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How touching, Mary. Hug that husband of yours! He's a keeper like mine.

      Delete
  3. And welcome to Triberr. Glad to have you on board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Did I lock my door before I left?"
    "Okay, okay....I got up from my computer desk, turned off the computer. Then I put my jacket on, slip my shoes on, grabbed my keys..."
    A sigh.
    "Before I left, I made sure I had food there for the cat. Turned back to my computer to make sure it actually went off, because it's a bloody HP and it does nothing but what it wants."
    "Then the phone rang I answered it...telemarketer. I hung up without saying a word. I went to the bathroom...then I went out the door, closed it behind me...and...yes I most diffidently locked the door behind me.."
    She smiles with content. Then an old man was starring at her with a surprised look on his face. You see it has been awhile since he seen a naked girl walking about with just a coat and shoes on.
    Nathan Pounder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Nathan. Great job. Love that you're enjoying flash fiction.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to make a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

When Family Doesn't Support Your Writing

A Big Decision...

A Promotional Tool that Makes Sense