Why Do You Write?

There have been a lot of great blog posts discussing the various distractions that present themselves to us writers.  It almost seems procrastination is coded in our DNA.  But what compels you to push through and write, even when you don't feel like it?

For myself there are times I don't even know where the story is going to take me that day.  I'm not even sure exactly what makes me pick up my laptop on those days, but I do.  And when I "force" myself to do this, I usually find these times the most rewarding.  The characters take on a life of their own, and the story may take a surprising, yet pleasant turn.  Maybe that's part of the reason I push through?  I like the feeling of accomplishment that comes when I discipline myself to write.  Besides, I also know that as a published writer, I will have deadlines and expectations.  I might as well learn this aspect of being a writer now.  

Below is a list of reasons why I write:

- Love writing - the entire process
- Takes my mind off daily concerns, thereby improving my mood
- Rewarding
- Teaches me discipline / patience
- Ability to create and meet different "people" and go new places
- Allows me to accomplish something with my time

What about you?  Why do you push through and write even when you might not feel like it?


Comments

  1. Nice to meet your blog, Carolyn! thanks for the link from Twitter. :) Yep, my dream is traditional publishing too (Ooo, even better would be a MAJOR publishing house.) Keep on writing!!
    Artzicarol Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  2. I write because I am crazy and the voices in my head tell me to. No really, I want to put my creative side to use. It keeps my mind reeling. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with JL Jackson. It's the only way to shut up the voices in my head. They demand their stories be told. =D And I guess I'm a pushover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I write because I have to write. I feel compelled to do it--and I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A warm welcome to my new blog followers :)

    ...and how could I have forgotten about "the voices"? lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Writing is my obsession. I want to quit somedays but just can't. It relaxes me and gives me a place to go on vacation when I don't have no money. It allows me to morph into other people -- need I say more :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. LM Preston, so happy to know I'm not alone in my obsession : ) (And I can't afford a real vacation either...sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am passing on the Versatile Blogger Award to you! Come and get it =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad the voices aren't just in my head. Writing is the only way I can shut them up. usually the nights I don't want to write is when they're the loudest. So I just sit down and start typing. Always turns out for the better once I'm done.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to make a comment.

Popular posts from this blog

When Family Doesn't Support Your Writing

A Big Decision...

A Promotional Tool that Makes Sense