Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Editing

Is there ever a point when a writer can say, and believe it, that their work is finished?  I don't know about the rest of you, but for myself I find it very hard to say that statement.  In fact, I'm not even sure I'd ever accept edits as being complete until the book hit store shelves.  (And even then, I might pick up a copy and take out a red pen...if I'm not tired of looking at it by then.)

More recently, I decided to go back through the books I've written and give them a really good run through.  After all, how can they ever garner an agent's attention, and eventually a publisher's, if I've never queried them?

Now, the first novel I ever wrote was more to say that I could do it.  I've put it aside for now and set my attention on the my second mystery.  It's also the second in a series surrounding Major Crimes Detective Madison Knight.

The thing is, I loved that book before.  But I haven't read it in over a year.  In that time, I've written 3 novels.  As most of you know you grow a lot with every word you write.  Let's just say the book I expected to be pretty near perfection, isn't.  In fact, I'm chainsawing a lot of it and I only made it to page 13 as of the date of this post. But the result is going to be a marketable novel with three-dimensional characters and settings the reader can be immersed in.  And that...that is what will keep me going.